How can I apply?
- Applications will be accepted and reviewed through Submittable. Submittable works best on Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. Internet Explorer is not supported. Please make sure you are using a supported browser.
- To access the application, please visit the Submittable website. If you already have an account, please sign in. If you do not have an account, you will be prompted to create a free account with a 8+ character password. After you begin your application, you can save your work by clicking “Save Draft”. You do not have to complete your application in one sitting.
- Once your application is submitted, you will receive an automatic receipt. Your application is not considered complete until you receive a confirmation email from Kolibri staff. You will receive a confirmation email within 5 business days.
What internet browser do you recommend I use?
- Submittable works best on Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. Internet Explorer is not supported. Please make sure you are using a supported browser.
What information do I need to complete my application?
- You will need the following information to complete your application: Organizational information including: 501(c)3 Letter – or- fiscal sponsorship agreement and 501(c)3 letter, information about your organization and the community you work with, general organizational budget.
Can I fax or email my proposal?
- No, we are only accepting grants via our grant system. If you have any additional questions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who should apply?
To be eligible, an organization or project must:
- Be an organized group of people. (If your organization is a nonprofit with 501(c)3
status as determined by the IRS or is fiscally sponsored by 501(c)3 you are encouraged to apply.
- Be led by people who are most directly affected by the problems that the organization or project is addressing. Are developing strategies that are built by and held accountable to the communities where the work is occurring.
This fund prioritizes efforts and organizations that
- Organizations working in but not limited to the following states: AL, AR, KS, KY, LA, MS, ND, OK, PR, SC, SD, WV, USVI
- Organizations utilizing survivor-led and use survivor-centering strategies and have survivors in their leadership
- Organizations with a focus on elevating, uplifting, and organizing queer, gender non-conforming, trans and intersex communities, Indigenous communities, working-class communities, and groups with and for disabled communities.
- Organizations that are critiquing the medical-industrial complex, the carceral state
Do I need a fiscal sponsor?
- Not if you are a registered 501c3 organization. If you aren’t a 501(c)3 and don’t have a fiscal sponsor, please contact staff at Kolibri Fund at email@example.com.
Is the RFP open for national alliances or just state based organizations?
- There is a limit to one application per organization. National alliances and their individual chapters are both eligible to apply.
Are churches and faith-based organizations eligible to apply?
- Yes. Any church or faith based organization that works within the issue area of our current grant cycle is eligible to apply. This includes churches that have 501c3 status, are a fiscal sponsor, an organized group ,movement building, or deeply involved in social justice organizing work.
Are international organizations eligible to apply?
- At this time International organizations are not eligible to apply.
How do I delete a file that I’ve uploaded to my application?
- There are two ways to remove an uploaded file from an application:
- Once the file has been uploaded a ‘Remove File’ button will appear beside the file name. Clicking this button will delete the file.
- To replace the file a new file can be uploaded in its place. Click on the ‘Choose Files’ button to upload the correct file to the question and replace the original one.
Why can’t I upload files?
- Double-check that there are no symbols in the file name, the file type and size are OK, then try one or more of these suggestions:
- Sometimes the problem can be a corrupt file. Try saving a new, renamed version of the document.
- Try saving your file as a different type. For instance, if you tried to upload a (.pdf) file, try uploading the original Word or Excel version of this document. If it is a Word (.doc or .docx) or Excel (.xls or .xlsx) document, try saving it as a (.pdf) file and then uploading this version. If you scanned a document to create a (.jpg) file, try saving it in a (.pdf) format instead.
- Use a different computer to do the upload
Troubleshooting/ Additional Questions
Why did I lose the edits made to my application?
There are a few common reasons why this can happen:
- If you stay on one page for an extended period of time without saving, your account may “time out” without warning.
- A weak internet connection may momentarily disconnect your computer while you are working on the application.
- As a safeguard, we recommend that you: Save your application often, cut and paste your application answers after each question into a Word document to save as backup.